Sunday, February 24, 2013

Blizzard of 2013: Part 1

Earlier this week on Wednesday around 8am snow started to fall from the Kansas sky.  Little did I know that this snowfall was going to make history.

It continued to snow all day Wednesday, and all day Thursday not stopping until late Thursday evening.  At final tally we had nearly 18 inches of snow!  Now having been born and raised in Michigan and having lived a year and a half in the mountains of Colorado 18 inches in 36 hours wasn't that much.

Then I learned that Wichita, 60 miles south of us has a record snow fall (in recorded history) of 15 inches and the 12 inches they received this week ranked #2 in largest snowfall on record!  I was unable to find the record snowfall for our town but that gives you some perspective.

The snow fell so fast and so steady that the KDOT could not keep up with roads.  That worked out to my benefit Thursday morning because I had a text from my 'boss' saying, "I don't want to offend you or your Subaru but you should stay home today." Who am I to turn down a snow day?

Josh and I spent the entire day with friends down the road and, just like when I was a kid on a snow day, played video games all day.  The guys did take a time out to shovel our driveway and theirs.  The dogs at our friends house welcomed the clear driveway by peeing on it.  Who wants to squat in a snowbank?

Friday I made it to work with my AWD on snow packed roads.  The Little Lady (almost 4) said while motioning out the sliding door, "Something beautiful happened, it snowed!" Luckily they had some hand my down snow gear (Little Guy had to wear his sisters old boots and pink snow pants).  While the baby was sleeping I took the older two outside.

Ralphy! Ralphy I can't get up!




Little Guy was not impressed with the snow.  He couldn't walk through the snow with his little legs and he was mad he couldn't    play on the swing set.  Needless to say he didn't last long and went inside shortly after going out.

Tears, snot, rosy cheeks and he's ready to go inside.
 Little Lady LOVED the snow.  I couldn't convince her to come inside. At one point she fell in the snow straight to her face, got up and kept going.  She insisted that I follow her around the trails she was blazing around the backyard.  Sadly, I couldn't get her to make a snow angel.




I brought with me a snowman in a sack kit that I've had for years but never had the chance to use.  Unfortunately, the snow was much to dry on Friday to make a snowman.  Little Lady was bummed, she'd been looking forward to this snowman all winter.  Yup, my bad for mentioning it before the promise of snow.

Luckily Josh and I were in their neck of the woods Saturday (we picked up Teddy!) so we stopped by.  The snow was now perfect for a snowman!  Teddy, Josh, the kids, and their daddy got to work building a snowman.

Daddy and kids working hard on their first snowman.

Little Lady and her Kansas snowman.
Little Guy would still rather be inside.

After the snowman, Kstate hat, fishing pole and duck decoy, were complete the Daddy told me that this was the first snowman he had even built, EVER!  I could hardly believe it, but I'm glad he got to share that experience with his kiddos.  I hope it's something they remember!

We are expecting more snow after midnight tonight through noon-ish on Tuesday.  Maybe I'll get another snow day!  I know many of you miss Teddy just as much as we did, and I assure you he is indeed a perfect little gentleman now.  I will be sure to post pictures of him romping in the snow soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment